Summer Proof Your Luxury Car
Texas summer heat can be very damaging to your car. Both exterior and interior surfaces of a vehicle can reach surprisingly high temperatures when parked in direct sunlight on extremely warm days. Interior air temperatures can exceed 145° F and vehicle interior surfaces can reach temperatures over 195°F. Experts recommend taking a few extra measures during hot weather months to preserve the appearance and safety of your vehicle.
Protect the Exterior:
- Wax your Car – Sun and heat can fade and crack paint. In addition to frequent washing and hand drying, frequent waxing will help protect your vehicle’s exterior against the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- Check Tire Pressure – Hot pavement and extreme temperatures can cause your tires to loose air pressure. Keeping your tires inflated to the recommended pressure will help prevent flat tires or dangerous blowouts when traveling at high speeds.
Under the Hood:
- Check Fluids – To prevent your engine from overheating make sure your fluid levels are within manufacturer recommended guidelines. Antifreeze/coolant, oil, transmission fluid and brake fluid should all be topped off.
- Check Belts and Hoses – Ask your mechanic to check all belts and hoses for any signs of wear or deterioration, if they are not in top condition have them replaced.
- Check the Battery – Extreme temperatures can cause your battery to run down or fail. Have the vehicle’s battery and complete charging system checked to make sure it is functioning properly.
- Check your Air Conditioning – Riding in the comfort of an air conditioned vehicle is more than a luxury. Cool air temperatures help drivers stay alert on warm days and cooler interior temperatures also help to alleviate heat damage on interior surfaces.
Tips for the Interior:
- Keep it Cool – When possible, park in the shade. Keeping sun off of the dash will help prevent drying and cracking. Rolling down the windows a bit will also help to reduce the interior temperature and equalize the air pressure. When there is no shade in sight a windshield sun protector can work miracles to keep your vehicle cool and protect against sun damage.
- Protect the Seats – If your vehicle has leather seats, use a good leather conditioner on them frequently. This helps keep the leather pliable and will prevent tears or cracks. Installing seat covers is also a great way to protect leather and fabric seats from fading and will keep them looking showroom new.
Our Houston INFINITI Service Center is here to help you summer-proof your luxury car. Bring your vehicle in for a check up and we keep your car running its best all summer long.